Friday, February 5, 2016

Art for Musicians and Entymologists

I came across wild stag beetles in Germany. As I handled them and observed them walking on an oak tree, I fell in love with the delicate animal. Their giant horn-like mandibles are not strong and sharp enough to take off a finger, as one might think. In fact they are very gentle and use their mandible to remove other beetles who are invading their territory on the tree. They just pick each other up and throw one another, its pretty funny actually.



The trick to these Winsor and Newton water mixable oils is to use the glazing medium and glaze layer after layer for a luscious and luminous effect.

Many, many hours later the painting is done.  It usually takes me days to do a piece like this.  I am working in such detail that I need to take breaks to come back and look at the painting as a whole.  Things that need to be fixed or touched up are more obvious when your head isn't spinning from staring for hours at a picture. 


Mandibles arched into a Lyre
Notes strung into golden wires.
Walking on tiny segmented feet
The Beetle'll be humming the key of C.



On the darkest of nights, these are the golden hours.  Email me to inquire about purchasing my newest painting, "Stag Beetle Harp"



No comments: